Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Our Ancestors

I have had a great time since signing into the new Family Search program last Friday. Most interesting has been to see that my father, who is a convert to the church through my mother has more pioneer heritage than my mother did. My father's Grandma had the maiden name Wixom. the work has been done so I could follow it and figure some things out.My great grandmother was born in San Bernardino and both her parents were born in Jackson County Missouri - Independence. His parents were born in upstate New York and apparently joined the church not long after it was established and followed the prophet to Missouri. All of these people came to California by ship and then went to Salt Lake City and were then sent to San Bernardino. They didn't leave when most of the Saints left and the church pretty much disappeared for some years. So my grandma never knew about her mother being a Mormon. I am glad her work is done! Then, yesterday as I followed the family back I found that the Wixoms were in Plymouth in the 1600's. I'd like to know which ship they came on - that makes our family one of the first to settle in America. From there it goes back to England. I am thankful for family that chose to come to this land, probably for religious freedom, all those years ago. And look what happened after that! Some of the first members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints - pioneer heritage. Isn't that great stuff?

1 comment:

Kris Romeril said...

I love hearing stories about ancestors. We have neighbors who are Wixoms. It makes you realize how small the world really is.